Gunslinger (Beta Test)
I created the Gunslinger Prestige class for use in my Midian gameworld set in the island kingdom of Tyrne. A PC adopted the Prestige class after initial advancement as a Knave, and everything went well as long as the game progressed. That campaign went on hiatus due to problems getting the players' schedules to synchronize well enough to maintain an ongoing campaign, however, and I haven't been able to really test the Gunslinger class in play as fully as I would like as a result. Furthermore, while the class is being updated to use PRPG rules, that campaign was still operating under standard D&D 3.5 rules, so the class has not yet been tested by me at all in its PRPG incarnation. As such, it is labeled a Beta Test class.
The Gunslinger is a rare breed. He is sharp-eyed duelist whose weapon of choice is the height of martial technology in the compact form of a pistol. He is the unarmored or lightly-armored man who can go toe-to-toe with a knight in full armor hefting a ten-pound greatsword. The gunslinger uses a half-ounce piece of lead as the business end of his own weapon, pitting wits, speed, and precision against the tremendous strength of his opponent's arms.
Gunslingers are respected, at least to their faces, because of the legendary viper-like speed and lethality of their tempers, but all too often they are derided as ruffians, assassins, and worse, behind their backs. Theirs tend to be short, lonely lives, subject to treachery and poor luck, lured into such a life by the promise of quick fame and trapped in it by the danger of others seeking a name for themselves at the Gunslinger's expense.
A pistol is an impractical weapon for all but a few lifestyles, most notably the duelist and certain classes of military man. It can be lightning-fast on the draw, and devastatingly lethal in skilled hands, but its power is too quickly spent for the self-defense of the common man and far too expensive to practice without the support of military funding or a means of turning its use to lucrative ends. Whereas a bow brings in food while hunting and is cheap to supply with arrows, and a sword requires only occasional cleaning, oiling, and honing to serve as an effective weapon of self-defense, a pistol consumes considerable time in practice, a lot of money for its exotic ammunition, and regular, skilled maintenance. The easiest way to pay for all that, when one lacks a substantial inheritance or outside funding, is to kill for the needed money. Thus is the Gunslinger born.
GAME RULE INFORMATION
any, though typically not Lawful Neutral, Lawful Good, or Neutral Good
To qualify to become a Gunslinger, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Base Attack Bonus:
Craft (small arms), 8 ranks; Intimidate, 4 ranks
Weapon Proficiency (small arms), Quick Draw
ownership of at least one pistol
The Gunslinger's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Acrobatics [DEX], Bluff [CHA], Concentration [INT], Craft (Gunsmithing, Small Arms) [INT], Intimidate [CHA], Investigate [INT], Perception [WIS], Perform (Pistoleer) [CHA], Ride [DEX], Sense Motive [INT], Sleight of Hand [DEX], and Stealth [DEX].
note: The PRPG Beta does not use the Concentration skill. Instead, it simply assumes that some other skill will take over the role that Concentration once did -- such as using Spellcraft for spellcasting Concentration effects. I haven't yet settled on an equivalent skill to use for a Gunslinger, so I'm leaving the Concentration skill where it is for now.
Skills at Each Level:
6 + INT modifier
All the following are class features of the Gunslinger prestige class.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency:
Gunslingers do not gain any weapon or armor proficiencies. Armor preferences may vary depending on the character's other class(es), but tend toward no armor, light armors, or armored jackets and coats.
A Gunslinger's base attack bonus increases every level. Base Attack and Save bonuses improve as shown in the following table:
Level BA FOR REF WIL Special 1 +1 +0 +2 +0 Small Arms Focus, Vital Shot +1D6 2 +2 +0 +3 +0 Bonus Feat 3 +3 +1 +3 +1 Precise Shooting, Steady Hands 4 +4 +1 +4 +1 Vital Shot +2D6 5 +5 +1 +4 +1 Gunfighter, Small Arms Specialization 6 +6 +2 +5 +2 Bonus Feat 7 +7 +2 +5 +2 Vital Shot +3D6 8 +8 +2 +6 +2 Rapid Reloading, Sharpshooting 9 +9 +3 +6 +3 Paired Pistols, Pistol Melee 10 +1 +3 +7 +3 Bonus Feat, Vital Shot +4D6
Small Arms Focus
At first level, Gunslingers gain Weapon Focus (Pistol). If they already have Weapon Focus (Pistol), they may select from among the Gunslinger allowed bonus Feats instead.
Any time a Gunslinger catches an opponent flat-footed when firing his pistol at the target, he may inflict additional damage. At first level, he gets a +1D6 to damage, and may add another +1D6 every third level thereafter. Use of this ability is only possible at point-blank range, any time the opponent is denied a DEX bonus. The range of the Vital Shot ability is increased by 50% (to 45 feet) if the Gunslinger also possesses the Far Shot Feat.
At second, sixth, and tenth levels, the Gunslinger gainst a bonus Feat from the following list. The Gunslinger must meet all prerequisites for these feats as normal (with the exception of the Fighter-only limitation for Greater Weapon Focus or Weapon Specialization).
- Combat Reflexes
- Combat Reload
- Far Shot
- Greater Weapon Focus (Pistol)
- Hair Trigger
- Improved Critical (Pistol)
- Improved Lightning Draw
- Improved Precise Shot
- Improved Rapid Reload
- Lightning Draw
- Lightning Reflexes
- Point Blank Shot
- Precise Shot
- Rapid Reload
- Shot on the Run
- Two-Weapon Fighting
- Weapon Specialization (Pistol)
At third level, Gunslingers gain Precise Shot. If they already have Precise Shot, they may select from among the Gunslinger allowed bonus Feats instead.
At third level, Gunslingers gain Combat Reload. If they already have Combat Reload, they may select from among the Gunslinger allowed bonus Feats instead.
At fifth level, Gunslingers gain Lightning Draw. If they already have Lightning Draw, they may select from among the Gunslinger allowed bonus Feats instead.
Small Arms Specialization
At fifth level, Gunslingers gain Weapon Specialization (Pistol). If they already have Weapon Specialization (Pistol), they may select from among the Gunslinger allowed bonus Feats instead.
At eighth level, Gunslingers gain Rapid Reload. If they already have Rapid Reload, they may select from among the Gunslinger allowed bonus Feats instead.
At eighth level, Gunslingers gain Sharpshooter. If they already have Sharpshooter, they may select from among the Gunslinger allowed bonus Feats instead.
At ninth level, Gunslingers gain Two-Weapon Fighting. If they already have Two-Weapon Fighting, they may select from among the Gunslinger allowed bonus Feats instead.
At ninth level, Gunslingers are so attuned to the strengths and feel of a pistol that they may use one as an effective melee weapon without penalty or unreasonable risk of damage to it. The character may pistol-whip an opponent as an attack dealing 1D4 bludgeoning damage, and decide whether it does lethal or nonlethal damage, without risk of accidental discharge (which may otherwise be a concern with a loaded pistol). Furthermore, if a pistol is not used to fire or pistol-whip in a given round, it can be used to parry by making an opposed attack roll with an AC of the opponent's attack roll for the weapon the Gunslinger wishes to deflect. The intent to parry is declared after the opponent's attack roll, but before damage is assessed.
The following text is the property of Wizards of the Coast, Inc. and is Copyright 2000 Wizards of the Coast, Inc ("Wizards"). All Rights Reserved.
1. Definitions: (a)"Contributors" means the copyright and/or trademark owners who have contributed Open Game Content; (b)"Derivative Material" means copyrighted material including derivative works and translations (including into other computer languages), potation, modification, correction, addition, extension, upgrade, improvement, compilation, abridgment or other form in which an existing work may be recast, transformed or adapted; (c) "Distribute" means to reproduce, license, rent, lease, sell, broadcast, publicly display, transmit or otherwise distribute; (d)"Open Game Content" means the game mechanic and includes the methods, procedures, processes and routines to the extent such content does not embody the Product Identity and is an enhancement over the prior art and any additional content clearly identified as Open Game Content by the Contributor, and means any work covered by this License, including translations and derivative works under copyright law, but specifically excludes Product Identity. (e) "Product Identity" means product and product line names, logos and identifying marks including trade dress; artifacts; creatures characters; stories, storylines, plots, thematic elements, dialogue, incidents, language, artwork, symbols, designs, depictions, likenesses, formats, poses, concepts, themes and graphic, photographic and other visual or audio representations; names and descriptions of characters, spells, enchantments, personalities, teams, personas, likenesses and special abilities; places, locations, environments, creatures, equipment, magical or supernatural abilities or effects, logos, symbols, or graphic designs; and any other trademark or registered trademark clearly identified as Product identity by the owner of the Product Identity, and which specifically excludes the Open Game Content; (f) "Trademark" means the logos, names, mark, sign, motto, designs that are used by a Contributor to identify itself or its products or the associated products contributed to the Open Game License by the Contributor (g) "Use", "Used" or "Using" means to use, Distribute, copy, edit, format, modify, translate and otherwise create Derivative Material of Open Game Content. (h) "You" or "Your" means the licensee in terms of this agreement.
2. The License: This License applies to any Open Game Content that contains a notice indicating that the Open Game Content may only be Used under and in terms of this License. You must affix such a notice to any Open Game Content that you Use. No terms may be added to or subtracted from this License except as described by the License itself. No other terms or conditions may be applied to any Open Game Content distributed using this License.
3. Offer and Acceptance: By Using the Open Game Content You indicate Your acceptance of the terms of this License.
4. Grant and Consideration: In consideration for agreeing to use this License, the Contributors grant You a perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive license with the exact terms of this License to Use, the Open Game Content.
5. Representation of Authority to Contribute: If You are contributing original material as Open Game Content, You represent that Your Contributions are Your original creation and/or You have sufficient rights to grant the rights conveyed by this License.
6. Notice of License Copyright: You must update the COPYRIGHT NOTICE portion of this License to include the exact text of the COPYRIGHT NOTICE of any Open Game Content You are copying, modifying or distributing, and You must add the title, the copyright date, and the copyright holder's name to the COPYRIGHT NOTICE of any original Open Game Content you Distribute.
7. Use of Product Identity: You agree not to Use any Product Identity, including as an indication as to compatibility, except as expressly licensed in another, independent Agreement with the owner of each element of that Product Identity. You agree not to indicate compatibility or co-adaptability with any Trademark or Registered Trademark in conjunction with a work containing Open Game Content except as expressly licensed in another, independent Agreement with the owner of such Trademark or Registered Trademark. The use of any Product Identity in Open Game Content does not constitute a challenge to the ownership of that Product Identity. The owner of any Product Identity used in Open Game Content shall retain all rights, title and interest in and to that Product Identity.
8. Identification: If you distribute Open Game Content You must clearly indicate which portions of the work that you are distributing are Open Game Content.
9. Updating the License: Wizards or its designated Agents may publish updated versions of this License. You may use any authorized version of this License to copy, modify and distribute any Open Game Content originally distributed under any version of this License.
10. Copy of this License: You MUST include a copy of this License with every copy of the Open Game Content You Distribute.
11. Use of Contributor Credits: You may not market or advertise the Open Game Content using the name of any Contributor unless You have written permission from the Contributor to do so.
12. Inability to Comply: If it is impossible for You to comply with any of the terms of this License with respect to some or all of the Open Game Content due to statute, judicial order, or governmental regulation then You may not Use any Open Game Material so affected.
13. Termination: This License will terminate automatically if You fail to comply with all terms herein and fail to cure such breach within 30 days of becoming aware of the breach. All sublicenses shall survive the termination of this License.
14. Reformation: If any provision of this License is held to be unenforceable, such provision shall be reformed only to the extent necessary to make it enforceable.
15. COPYRIGHT NOTICE
Open Game License v 1.0 Copyright 2000, Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
The term D&D is a trademark of Wizards of the Coast. The terms Pathfinder RPG is a trademark of Paizo. I make no claims to either term, and am unaffiliated with both. I make no warranty or guarantee of compatibility of these custom game materials with any system, or fitness for any purpose. The game system basis for these materials is derived from works published by Wizards of the Coast and Paizo.
No part of the new game materials presented here is designated "product identity". I wish it all to be as free as possible. If you wish to contribute back to further development of this and other custom game materials, I recommend contacting me through my personal Weblog, SOB.